Orvium : Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain
Orvium is an open source, decentralized framework for managing scholarly publications’ lifecycles and the associated data. Using cutting-edge blockchain and artificial intelligence technologies, as well as decentralized storage and big data, Orvium creates a public, traceable, and trustworthy record of the research publication process. Through continuous and transparent review by members of the scientific community, with reputational and economic rewards for peer reviewers, Orvium improves the effectiveness of research production and validation, empowering the research community to determine the validity and soundness of published work. Eliminating current practices within the publishing industry regarding plagiarism, idea ownership, and registration, Orvium allows authors to retain control of their work and its potential economic benefits, publishing with optimal publication and access costs. Orvium’s ultimate objective is to be the leading publication platform while returning the benefits of science to society.
Orvium is intended to eliminate the existing market inefficiencies and also to improve the quality and effectiveness of the scientific publication life cycle. The final objective is for Orvium to be the on the top as a leading publication platform for the research communities while returning the benefits of science to society and people. Using the blockchain technology and a totally decentralized storage it will allow a public to approach, entirely traceable as well as a trustworthy record of the publication process at a minimal cost. Furthermore, Orvium’s source code will be published under an open source license and driven by the community.
Due to a misaligned model that potentially compromises the current scientific publication industry, there is a surge in the migration to open source initiatives (e.g.arXiv & PLOS ONE). Therefore, the evolution towards a blockchain-based solution is a natural progression that would positively disrupt the scientific community. The model will work as follows:
Orvium establishes a decentralized, immutable and independent process that enables time-stamped proof-of-existence (POE), authorship and ownership for scientific content. The blockchain enables Orvium to keep a public trace of all activities relating to a given content, including first submission, revisions, accepted and rejected peer reviews, copyright and user license changes, among other activities.
Orvium features a host of functionalities for stakeholders that include :
- Continuous, Transparent Peer Review : Pursuant to openness and public accountability required for a credible peer review process, Orvium offers that and much more, enabling reviewers to have a full life cycle traceability of the journal via the blockchain. Having access to all the information since the inception allows reviewers to determine the validity and soundness of the scientific work. Additionally, multi-author reviews can also be undertaken.
- Zero-Day Publication : All content – even in early draft status – are immediately available online once they’re transmitted into the Orvium platform.
- Manuscript Versioning : Scientific work can be created systematically on the platform, with multiple changes and versions being continually upgraded. This means authors can label their work as ‘Work-in-Progress’ and only they can see the modifications. These versioning capabilities enhance the content creation process, enabling Orvium’s solution to be the solution towards digitization as well.
- Custom Copyrights & User Licenses :
Although Orvium fosters open access publications, there are options for authors or institutions to opt for licensing/subscription models since stakeholders can define user conditions (via Decentralised Autonomous Journals).
- Decentralized Journals : This is a unique value proposition of Orvium which will be discussed in the next few sections under ‘Unique Differentiator’.
- Accommodation of Gray Literature : Traditional content or research that doesn’t pass the traditional peer review or screening process would be accommodated in the Orvium platform to allow for a more thorough peer review process and ensures that these potential nuggets of knowledge can be salvaged and saved.
A more technical breakdown of Orvium’s platform architecture is as follows :
In terms of storage solutions, data storage will be achieved using NoSQL & SQL databases for document and relational data while the binary storage will be achieved using different decentralized solutions that is currently being assessed, that include IPFS, Swarm, Sia and Storj.
- Hard cap: $20M
- Total Tokens: 379M
- Total tokens for sale: 227.4M (60% total supply)
- Token price: $0.10
Orvium follows an evolutive approach for developing the platform. The team will continuously deploy new features over time adding more functionalities to the solution. These releases will be first deployed on the Testnet and, after a public testing period, we will promote them to the Ethereum Mainnet.
- Website : https://orvium.io
- WhitePaper : https://orvium.docsend.com/view/nvr6ywj
- Platform Architecture : https://orvium.docsend.com/view/bn6jy9h
- Ann thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3535259.0
- Bounty thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3565166
- Telegram channel : https://t.me/orvium
- Bounty Thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3565166.msg36410943#msg36410943
- Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/orvium.io
- Twitter : https://twitter.com/orvium
- Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/Orvium/